I'm OK but boy am I sore!!! I took a spill today at work. Was doing my walk around and found a piece of ice with my name on it and down I went. Now we park our buses really close to each other - mainly for space - we have none - so on the way down I struck my head on the bus next to mine. I ended up under the bus in allot of pain. When you hit your head all you hear is that loud crack. Well, I layed there holding my head and rocking back and forth until another driver saw me and came over. She helped me out from under the bus and then saw all the blood and went screaming to Darrell - my boss. Anyway everyone came out and said that they called 911 and that I was not to move anymore. You know the ground is very, very, very cold when there is ice and snow on it? Someone got me a coat to sit on and with allot of effort we got it under me. Well, two police cars, a fire truck and finally the paramedics came to look at the old woman on the ground. A paramedic got me to take away my hand from my head and said - "Mam - you are going to the hospital" Not very comforting but I already had a feeling. So now I get to wear a neck brace and be put on that board and be velcroed in. They did everything fast - so that they could get me out of the cold. It was a negative eight degrees this morn and right then it had warmed up to maybe twelve degrees. Once inside the ambulance they finished their velcro job and then started asking me questions. Ever try to talk with your head glued down and and neck brace holding your jaw shut? Fun times I tell you. My toes and fingers all moved and I could feel all their poking, so I really wasn't too worried. Now they have the heat on in the ambulance and I still have my coat, sweater, turtle next shirt and undergarments on - I'M HOT!!! I was disappointed because I didn't get the siren. Don't know about the lights. We get to the hospital - I get room 17 - my boss is there and we wait. We wait some more and some young thing comes in and takes my blood pressure, temp and all that stuff. She leaves and we wait. We wait and now I am lying on this back board with my head velcroed down and my cut is between me and the board. I am starting to hurt - bad - I gave them a 9 on their pain scale. They decide that I shouldn't wait anymore and off to get a cat scan for my neck - still in my coat and velcro. They tell me that it will take half an hour to get the results. I am in pain. I am trying to relax, pray and breath the pain away. Finally they come in and say all is well and unvelcro me. Yea!!!!! I can't believe how much pain went away when I got off that thing. No broken neck, no scull fracture - but boy is my neck stiff and shoulders sore. I get a local and two staples in my head and I am sent home.
Mom and Dad came and sat with me. I had Dad call Dave Asper and he came and gave me a priesthood blessing. My home and visiting teachers have all called. I am being taken care of.
I am really sorry that I don't have a picture of me on the back board but what can you do? All I have are the pictures of all the blood on my cloths and you can almost see one staple if you look hard.


I am so glad I had my - get dirty, don't care- coat on. The staples come out next Wednesday and I am going to have the rest of the week off. Workman's comp should take care of the bills and I have strong medicine and my TV - so don't worry.
4 comments:
Oh, Mom! I am calling you right now!
well the pictures you do have are pretty cool. We are glad to hear that you are doing well and being taken care of. Hopefully you heal up fast and just have a cool story to tell when all is done.
I'm very glad you're OK! Sliding under a bus is very scary and I'm glad your coworker was alert and spotted you quickly. Winter can't end soon enough.
i still say you should try to mike this for eveything you can get. it is like a paid vacation before spring break :)
Post a Comment