Sunday, June 1, 2008

It only took 51 years


After 51 years I have earned a trophy. I competed in the "region 1" School bus safety competition and I took second place. I was shocked. I have been practicing for the last 3 weeks or so. Driving that bus through cones of all sizes. I am really sick of parallel parking that thing. I really think something should get easier the more you do it but that is not true. Sometimes I can park that bus and other times I ram everything in sight.

I know most of you didn't even know that something like this even existed- don't worry no one really cares except bus drivers - even some bus drivers don't care. What is involved? Glad you asked - there are 10 driving skills put to the test and one written exam that is 40 questions. Twenty-five questions of general laws for school bus drivers and 15 questions about the bus equipment. Do you know what system the "pitman arm" is associated with? I do!
This next picture is me trying to remember that I know what a "pitman arm" is!
The driving test include: Back up alley - basically backing into a driveway that is about two feet wider than your bus and not hitting the cones on either corner and placing your back bumper in a one foot "free" zone. You also have to be centered. Points off for every inch you are off. Piece of cake - possible 50 points - I got 26. I never said I got a great score.

The offset Alley - is just that - pretend you are driving down an alley that is the length of your bus and then curves to the left one bus width and goes straight another bus length. Without hitting anything. I hit flag and got a score of 43 out of 50

The railroad crossing is just that - we have allot of legal things, stop, look, listen, and you can't forget any of them - a possible 75 and I got 75.

Straight line is 5 groups of tennis balls placed in a straight line - the balls are 4 inches wider than your back doles. You can't drive over any and I didn't 50 out of 50.

Diminishing Clearance is an alley that starts with 12 inches wider than your bus and ends only 4 inches wider. Can't touch any flags - oops I did 30 out of 50.

Right turn sounds simple but you have to put your rear tire in a specific spot. You are only given about 8 inch variance. Harder than it sounds - I got a 30 out of 50.

Curb line is parking your bus the easy way. Just pull in straight park close and pull out without hitting the "cars" on either end. Points off for not getting close enough. I got a 50 out of 50.

Parallel Parking is my one event I hate the most. You have a space that is 4 feet longer than the bus and you have two back ups to get in. For the first time in competition I didn't hit the curb. (that simple thing takes away all possible points) I was excited. I got a 44 out of 50.

Elementary Student loading in the ninth skill. If we mess this up , well, we stink. I got a 50 out of 50.

Last is the stop line. You stop the bus with your front bumper directly over a specific line. Points off for not getting close enough to the line and zero points for going over. I got 25 out of 25.

That is it I had a total of 572 out of 675. Not the greatest score but 35 points ahead of third place and first place had 605. I need to do better on the written test. Why? Because I did this silly thing I am now going on to State competition. Yes, folks this thing goes all the way to nationals.

And this state thing is the Monday before Cristy's wedding. I just really need more stress in my life.
This is me before competition -" I want one" They are so prettttty. Mandy said - "see the trophy - be the trophy"

I was really shocked that I took second place. When 4th and 3rd was called, and I wasn't them -I figured I didn't even place. Shock!!!
I got one - my very first trophy. (And to my kids I don't count a "letter" for my bowling years in high school - a trophy.) NOW ON TO STATE!!!!

4 comments:

Darren and Laura said...

congrats!!! i knew you had some of my genes in you. (or something like that:)

Mandy said...

So proud! You didn't even mention the amazing judges you had! I don't know if I've ever seen you so nervous. You were so cute! We are so happy we could be there to see you get your trophy!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I hope our kids get some of those driving skills ;)

Campbells said...

That's my MOM. Love he trophy. You gotta go to Nationals!!!