Thursday, November 6, 2008

What is so great about getting old?

When I was 14 - I used to think "can't wait till I'm 16". Then when I was 16 , I wanted to be 18, than 21. It seemed to stop there. I don't remember ever wishing I was 30. (except maybe now I do, but that is backwards) No one ever says - "wow - I can't wait to be 40!" But then again no one ever warns you about 50 either. Why? I'll tell you why.

In a women's life it is summed up in one word - menopause!! Natures way of getting even for all the times you tried to speed time up. You know the time I was 17 years old and out walking the streets in Las Vegas at two o'clock in the morning, in a mini-skirt. How stupid is that? I can't believe I didn't get into trouble. Not the little trouble from your parents kind - but the guy throws you into his car and you are never the same again - kind of trouble. Not having any brains when you are a teenager is expected but when you are older and don't use your brains - it is something else. When you are 17 - people just shake their heads and say "teenagers" . When you are 50 something - people just shake their heads.

I don't care about the hot flashes or the night sweats. Really they aren't that bad. But I am told that the exercising is helping keep them small. What is bad is the brain thing. I now know it was a 50 something women who coined the phrase -"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most" It is amazing how one minute you can know something and the next have no clue. I mean not one little sparkle of a clue. I give myself all the Alzheimer's tests and keep passing them - thank goodness - but I still keep giving them to myself anyway. At least I think I'm passing them - I mean it is me doing the grading.

The good thing is that these moments go away - fleeting moments of frustration. You get your brain back and can think again. Until the next surge of hormones or lack thereof. So for now I give Grant and Darren tons of material to tease their mother about. Damon, Cristy and Mandy just shake their heads. That's o.k. cause I do to - shake my head that is. Only now I hear a little rattle.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Mom, you crack me up! I blame being a mom on losing my brain. Does that mean I am going to lose it more and more as I get older? Because I swear sometimes it's really bad even now. Well this post was hilarious!! And for the record, I don't think you've lost your mind at all.